Pages

Saturday 11 October 2014

Giving my thanks to Thanksgiving

About twice a year I get "serious" about cleansing my body with kale smoothies and leaning out my body by dreadful hours of cardio. This weekend is most definitely not one of those times.

Thanksgiving. Ah how j'adore this holiday! And it's not the turkey that's got me excited. Come to think of it, I never actually put the bird on my plate. No, Thanksgiving is so much more than that. So much more. It's a weekend that feels so whimsical and ....chic? to me. 

So I've concocted a list of why Thanksgiving has me all giddy and abnormally "peppy":

1) The side dishes. My mother being the Parisienne chef she is has an "all or nothing" attitude towards cooking. There are no beyond basic mashed potatoes or ...ew, cabbage rolls served here (sorry to all those who drool over those). Like, super no. We start off with delectable appetizers/canapes such as baked brie with caramelized onions topped with fruit and nuts. And what replaces the mashed taters? Mashed sweet potatoes baked with brown sugar topped with walnuts and cranberries.


2) Not that I need an excuse, but I do use the holidays as an excuse to dress up and chic myself out. Thanksgiving is my all time fave because the weather is perfect for any outfit and, like duh fall colours. 

3) Wine. (Self explanatory.)

4) The ambiance of the entire holiday itself. I love how the family gets together, how kooky everyone is, and how we all laugh at everything that really isn't anything. For those of you who've seen Gossip Girl (my spirit animal show), their New York Thanksgiving is perfect. Filled with food, relatives who've had too much apple cider/wine, and of course, the fab outfits.

5) P.u.m.p.k.i.n. P.i.e.

6) Or, my mother's butternut squash tarte.

7) My family decks our entire house out (okay my mom does) and it just makes the house feel magical.

8) Weather permitting, and looks like this weekend is beyond permitting, we spend an entire day outside. Raking leaves, ruining the piles by jumping in them, a walk to the river, lunch on the deck...it's so perfect.

So, I'm now in search of a dress/skirt with some major elasticity, taste testing whatever my mother has in the oven, and enjoy the weather. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! 

Sincerely, 
Ingrid 

No comments:

Post a Comment